Man shot outside building in Sydney’s CBD

Eyewitnesses have described confronting scenes after a man was shot in broad daylight in Sydney’s CBD, with pictures from the scene revealing another man being taken into custody in handcuffs.

Emergency services rushed to a building on Castlereagh St, which houses multiple law firms, about 12.50pm following reports a person had been shot.

NSW Police said officers found a man suffering a gunshot wound at the scene.

“The man is being treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics and first responders,” a NSW Police spokesman said.

“A crime scene has been established and the public are advised to avoid the area to allow emergency services access and egress.”

The 77-year-old victim was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital for further treatment and remains in a stable condition.

NSW Police confirmed the alleged gunman, who is now in police custody, is 79-years-old.

Pictures taken from the scene reveal a handcuffed man waiting in a police car as officers swarm the area.

NSW Police Inspector David El Badawi confirmed the alleged shooter was not assisting with inquiries.

He said the offender had a small calibre, semiautomatic pistol, which had been confiscated.

Police attended the scene in about three minutes, after being notified of the incident just after 1pm.

Inspector El Badawi said they found the alleged offender held down by staff members at the premises before arresting him.

Police also found another man, who worked at the building, suffering from a gunshot wound to his groin.

“The offender is also in his mid-70s and he is currently at Day St assisting police with their inquiries,” he told reporters.

Police are still investigating the relationship between the alleged shooter and the victim, and would not confirm whether the shooter also worked in the building.

At this stage, authorities are still unable to determine whether it was a targeted attack.

NSW Ambulance paramedic Dominic Wong said the injured man was not “actively bleeding” once ambulances arrived at the scene.

“I do believe there was first aid rendered by people in the premises,” he said.

The man has since been take to St Vincent’s Hospital and is in a stable condition.

Mr Wong added that the alleged shooter appeared to be uninjured, however he declined treatment from paramedics.

Arabella Fennessy, 17, and Peniana Blair, 17, were at the scene after getting off a nearby bus.

They said they saw a contingent of ambulance and police cars entering 219 Castlereagh St, which houses the Consulate General of Greece and O’Brien Criminal and Civil Solicitors.

Ms Blair said she saw an elderly man get wheeled out of the building in a stretcher, with police walking around the area, initially in bulletproof vests.

“A bunch of police officers were just running to their cars and pulling on their bullet vests,” she said.

“I’m really shocked. We didn’t expect this to happen.”

Ms Fennessy said she originally thought the incident was a car crash.

“I thought it would be more safe in Sydney. It’s the middle of the city, and a Wednesday. It’s really sad and scary.”

Two witnesses, Cassie Economides, and Rochelle Connell claim they saw a man in a dark shirt being chased by police down Castlereagh St and into the building, as they returned from work at around 1pm.

Ms Connell estimated more than 10 police cars arrive at the scene shortly after they saw police.

“We didn’t realise he was the one they were chasing until we saw him run into the building,” she said.

They said they didn’t see him leave the building.

There is no ongoing threat to the community.

The building is understood to house a number of law firms, including O’Brien Criminal and Civil Solicitors and Princeton Lawyers as well as the Consulate General of Greece.

Staff inside the nearby Transport NSW headquarters on Elizabeth Street were reportedly told to remain indoors.

A crime scene has been established in the area.

Read related topics:Sydney

Leave a Comment