Karen Webb: NSW police boss on “grateful” comment about alleged killer Beau Lamarre-Condon

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb has defended herself once again after coming under fire for a lack of sensitivity while speaking about the alleged murders of a Sydney couple.

The bodies of Jesse Baird and Luke Davies were located at a Bungonia property, near Goulburn on Tuesday afternoon, with some family members visiting the scene that evening.

The police force boss has been at the centre of intense scrutiny over the last week as police worked relentlessly to work out what happened to the two men.

On Tuesday, the Commissioner compared the criticism to a Taylor Swift lyric, before she was later quoted saying police were “grateful” to the alleged killer for sharing the location of the deceased’s bodies, and that she was certain the families were also grateful.

“We are very confident that we have located Luke and Jesse,” Ms Webb said on Tuesday afternoon.

“I’d like to say also, that this information did come with the assistance of the accused, for which we’re very grateful and I’m sure the families are very grateful.”

Today host Sarah Abo said it seemed like she was “a bit all over the shop” in her public comments to reporters about the case.

“Oh, I think the comment about being grateful was [we are] grateful the family now knows and we were able to show them where their loved ones were,” Webb explained.

Webb was also forced to apologise after referring to the alleged murder as a “crime of passion” in an earlier press conference, which she later said she regretted.

“Are you comfortable with the part of your role where you have to face the media?,” Abo probed.

“Of course,” Webb replied. “But as I keep saying, I’m the head of the organisation. I’ve got 22,000 people in the organisation doing great work right across this state.

My priority is to support the police to do their work and to keep this community safe.”

Abo questioned the Commissioner over protocols that allowed the accused, Senior Constable Beau Lamarre-Condon, to take a police-issued pistol out of a station safe and keep it for a number of hours without raising suspicions.

Webb said she has called for a review of these protocols and wants to “move quickly”, with a senior Victorian police officer called in to assist with the process.

“This person has been deceptive in the way he’s gone about accessing the firearm,” she said.

“That is not the behaviour we see of police officers doing their job every day.”

The Commissioner shared an update on discussions with the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Board which occurred on Tuesday following their decision to ban police from marching in this weekend’s pride parade.

“That was a really good conversation and it was good to hear what their concerns are and obviously the issues in that community are quite raw,” she said.

“So we’ll continue those discussions over the next few days.”

Homicide and forensics investigators remain at the crime scene south of Sydney on Wednesday searching the area for more evidence.

“There is a lot of evidence to process there, there is still a lot of work to be done,” Webb said.

A post mortem is expected to be undertaken in the coming days.

Read related topics:Sydney

Leave a Comment