Queenslanders whose homes were damaged during severe storms over Christmas-New Years period will be able to access their share of financial assistance.
The state’s southeast was lashed by heavy weather between Christmas Day and the first days of 2024, that left 6000 homes without power for days and caused damage to hundreds of homes.
Premier Steven Miles on Sunday confirmed 152 homes in the Gold Coast, Logan and Scenic Rim regions were “severely damaged” and 406 more had sustained moderate damage.
Federal Emergency Management Minister Murray Watt said as a result, two forms of additional government assistance would become available from 2pm Monday.
The federal governments disaster recovery payment, a one-off payment of $1000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child, will be made available to help those who have suffered “some sort of significant damage to their homes” or a “serious injury” as a result of the storms.
It will be available to anyone who meets the requirements in the following 27 suburbs across the southeast:
- City of Gold Coast: Arundel, Biggera Waters, Coombabah, Coomera, Gaven, Guanaba, Helensvale, Hollywell, Labrador, Maudsland, Mudgeeraba, Nerang, Oxenford, Pacific Pines, Paradise Point, Runaway Bay, Tallai, Upper Coomera and Wongawallan.
- City of Logan: Cedar Creek, Cedar Grove, Cedar Vale, Flagstone, Jimboomba, Mundoolun and Tamborine.
- Scenic Rim Region: Tamborine and Tamborine Mountain.
In addition, the disaster recovery allowance will be activated for workers and sole traders who have suffered difficulty getting to work or their business.
The allowance is up to 13 weeks income support at the Jobseeker level and is available to all who live or work in the three council regions, regardless of suburb.
Equivalent financial assistance will also be made available to eligible New Zealanders who live in the area.
The latest announcement comes on top of the joint federal-state financial hardship assistance already made available to southeast Queenslanders in need of food, clothing, medicines or reconnecting utilities whose homes weren’t majorly damaged.
There is also assistance available to small businesses, primary producers, and non-profits.
“I want to assure everyone recovering from these events that the Albanese government will be standing with you every step of the way,” Senator Watt said.
“We are working very closely, night and day, with the Miles government to make sure this recovery process is as best as it can possibly be.
“It won’t be fixed overnight, but we are committed to the task.”
Government Services Minister Bill Shorten said those impacted by the recent events should check what help is available to them through the Services Australia website.
“Thank you also to those working around the clock supporting Aussies impacted since Cyclone Jasper, including the 1000 Services Australia staff working the phones, and 2000 staff processing claims,” he said.
The weather events in the state’s southeast came just as the clean-up in the state’s north began.
Cairns and the surrounding area was smashed by severe weather around Christmas as cyclone Jasper made landfall.
The State Emergency Services on Sunday said of the 4550 calls for assistance made between the state’s two major events, only seven were outstanding.
Across the state, more than 61,000 damage assessments have been carried out on homes – 39 of which had been destroyed, including 10 in the southeast.
As of Sunday morning, 99 per cent of Queenslanders who lost power during the weather events have been reconnected, with the final few set to be re-powered by Sunday afternoon.